APPS Student and Early-Career Researcher Conference Bursary Scheme Guidelines for applicants
The Australasian Plant Pathology Society (APPS) will provide bursaries for students and early career researchers in Australasia, the Pacific region and South East Asia, to attend either an APPS biennial conference or an APPS special interest group meeting during the non-biennial conference year. ECRs must have been awarded a PhD within five years, or longer if combined with periods of significant career interruption. Applicants without PhD qualifications but with up to 10 years’ experience in the plant pathology industry are also considered as ECRs.
These bursaries will be up to $750 per student or ECR, and are to assist with conference registration, accommodation during the conference and travel.
APPS membership is not a requirement; however, only a maximum of $630 will be awarded to a non-member student or ECR with $120 of the bursary going towards payment of membership fees (2 years membership for students and 1 year for ECR).
Support for attendance at APPS Biennial Conference
Up to 4 travel bursaries per region will be provided for the biennial APPS conference. This initiative is intended to ensure that students and ECRs from all branches of the APPS (ACT, NSW, NT, NZ north, NZ south, PNG Pacific, QLD, SA, TAS, VIC, WA and South-East Asia) have a chance to apply regardless of the size or financial status of the region in which they are resident.
Support for attendance at APPS Special Interest Group Meetings
Up to four travel bursaries each non-APPS conference year will be available to support students or ECR to attend APPS Special Interest Group meetings to the value of $750 each.
Information for the Applicant
Funds will be allocated on a competitive basis by the Selection Committee. The committee reserves the right not to allocate bursaries. Priority will be given to students and ECR that have no other financial assistance to attend the conference or special interest group meeting. Priority will be given to students/ECRs who have NOT received a bursary from APPS in the last 4 years.
To be eligible for funding, the applicant must:
- Be an ECR or student enrolled in an Honours, Masters or PhD program on a full or part-time basis in Australasia, the Pacific region or South East Asia and, if in an Honours degree, must be near completion;
- Provide evidence of requirement for funds (i.e. value of any other scholarships applied for);
- Include a signed letter of recommendation from their Principal Supervisor; Complete all sections of the application form; Submit a 100 word (approx.) written statement outlining the relevance of attending the conference to their research;
- Give a presentation at the meeting (posters are acceptable);
- Provide an acceptance letter for their presentation;
- Complete a travel report, with photographs, upon return for inclusion in the APPS newsletter. Additionally, presentation of their talk at a local APPS symposium in coordination with their local Regional Councillor is strongly encouraged
NOTE: Late, incomplete and retrospective applications will not be considered
- Applications will be accepted without the confirmation of conference registration or acceptance of oral presentations; however, funds will only be issued to successful applicants once the student/ECR has supplied proof of registration and the acceptance letter for their presentation.
NOT eligible to apply are:
- Masters/PhD students who have submitted their thesis unless the application is as an ECR;
- Students who are on leave from candidature during the period for which they intend to apply.
- Students who will be reimbursed in full by employer, sponsor or Faculty/Institute/Centre for attending the conference;
Applications must be submitted by Friday 12 April, and applicants will be notified of their success (or not) no later than Fri 3 MayDownload application form
Queries and submissions to be sent to:
APPS Executive Secretary
- Registrations Now open
- Call for Abstracts Now open
- Early Bird Registration Deadline 5 July 2019
- Call for Abstracts Close 25 July 2019
- Notification to Authors 9 September 2019
- Registration for Workshops Close 23 September 2019
- APPS 2019 Conference 25 - 28 November 2019